Rice Krispie Squares: so easy to make, but so easy to mess up. I sadly was only introduced to them in the past year, when my coworker brought them in to the office… LIFE CHANGING! Yeah, really. Because before then I’ve only tried the packaged versions, which if you’ve tried the freshly made ones, can’t really hold a candle. So in my first few attempts to make them, I made sure that it was gooey and not dry, with some melty marshmallows in each square.
Now the real key to this recipe, and my coworker Liz would highly recommend, is to add a bit of vanilla. I did experiment with more expensive vanilla extract and regular vanilla and couldn’t taste the difference at all!
The recipe after the jump is my tried and true recipe, having made over 4 batches of them for our bake sale at the office. It’s pretty much perfection! The aluminum foil lining is a MUST to easily remove your squares from the pan.
The most AMAZING Rice Krispie Squares
- 6 Tbsp butter (1/2 cup – 2 TBSP)
- 8 cups, plus 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Krispie Cereal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Line a 9×9 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat melt butter. Once butter is melted add in 8 cups mini marshmallows, vanilla, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are just melted remove from heat and stir in salt, then the cereal until just coated in marshmallow mixture. Now stir in the remaining 2+ cups of mini marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press in evenly.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Best if served same day. Wrap in plastic wrap and then put in plastic container for later consumption.