WOW okay I gotta I admit that I’ve never made such legit and fancy cookies before.
Look at them!!! They’re straight out of what you would buy at a bakery, or even high-end specialty shop because I used 70% bittersweet Valrhona Guanaja chocolate. YUP, ultra fancy stuff. Valrhona chocolate (from France) is considered one of the finest chocolate in the world, and is also pretty pricy at $4.99 per 100g, not to mention hard to find here in Toronto. I once saw a bar of Valrhona baking chocolate at Pusateri’s for $20!! CRAZY!
Bought these chocolate disks from St. Lawrence Market, and they really make all the difference! When you eat the cookies warm, it’s almost like drinking hot chocolate in a cookie!!
This cookie though…
Everything about it was right, crunchy, buttery goodness at first bite… Gooey and warm on the inside, with the bittersweet chocolate a perfect touch to balance out the sweet cookie. I topped them off with fleur de sel, an awesome complement because the hint of saltiness really cuts the sweetness of the cookie. BEST COOKIE EVER!
I may have eaten 8 or more (lost count a long time ago)…
Jacques Torres’ Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes twenty-six 5-inch cookies or 8 1/2 dozen 1 1/4-inch cookies
1 pound unsalted butter (2 cups)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (900g)
-Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
– In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars for 5 min.
– Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
-add in vanilla
-Gradually add in the dry ingredients, until just moistened.
– This is when you should worry about over-mixing. Add in the chocolate fèves and mix carefully with spatula to prevent breakage.
-Rest for 36 hours
-open oven 350 deg
– Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. about 2 inches apart. OR 2 tbsp worth, 11-12 min baking
-sprinkle w sea salt
– Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 18-20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies.
– Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
I agree! Valrhona is THE best! Its the kind of chocolate I only break out on extremely special occasions, call me stingy, but nuh-uh. That stuff is GOLD!
Can I just ask, what is pastry flour? Never seen it here in the UK.
Hahaha I agree about the chocolate! Pastry flour has lower gluten content than all purpose flour, but you can also use cake flour for this recipe as well. Here in Toronto most supermarkets carry “cake and pastry flour” (a blend of both) which apparently doesn’t produce the same result.
Cool! Thanks for letting me know!
Saving the recipe! Thanks so much!! 🙏🏻